Sea level rise consequences :
If sea level rises of 1 meter, this implies :
- 2.2 million square kilometers of land are flooded (more than 4 times the size of California).
- The displacement of 150 million people.
This water rising will have serious economic consequences :
- The coastal cities will be flooded.
- Many populated areas will be abandoned.
- There will be loss of agricultural areas, and salinization of agricultural land.
The financial cost will be very high.
Who will compensate people who lose their home ?
Who will pay ?
With sea level rise, effects of storms will be more severe.
The cost of damage caused by sea level rise will be astronomical.
If the sea rises of 1 meter untill 2100, this does not mean that the rise will stop after.
This rise will continue for a very long time, for centuries.
So in the long term, what do we do ? We abandon New York, Tokyo, etc, and we move those cities elsewhere ?
This is a major social challenge.